Monday 2 January 2012

make: dishcloth


This is a really simple knit dishcloth pattern, you just need to know how to cast on, cast off, knit and purl. I used 4.5mm needles and, as you can see from the stripes, I was using up oddments of cotton that I had.

Cast on in multiples of 4, plus 6. I did 42. This is 9 squares of pattern plus 3 stitches each side for the border. 42 gave quite a big cloth, I think for my next one I will cast on 26.

knit 4 rows for the garter stitch border.
row 1: k3, *p4, k4, rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
row 2: k3, *k4, p4, rep from * to last 3 sts, k3
row 3: as row 1
rows 4 and 5: as row 2
row 6: as row 1
row 7: as row 2
row 8: as row 1

repeat these 8 rows until the cloth is the desired length, then knit 4 rows and cast off. I used the tail end and crocheted 6 ch to make a loop before securing the end. Weave in the ends.


Jo x 

No comments:

Post a Comment